Pages

Friday, August 27, 2010

Embracing Your Second Calling--Book Review part one

Prayer requests below


Today I wanted to share with you a book that I started reading recently. Today God laid it on my heart to share a couple of prayer requests with you. As I thought of these needs this book came to my mind.

Embracing Your Second Calling is written for the woman living in the second stage of her life . . . once the kids are gone sometimes many women are left with a void. Feeling lonely and not knowing what to do with our time. Embracing Your Second Calling can help you find passion and purpose for the rest of your life. The book is simple to read. It is filled with stories, quotes and suggested prayers. And, it is filled with biblical principles and scripture. The reader is guided as the author shares her own-mid life journey. Bourke offers insights to help us discover our second calling-one that isn't about something we do but about someone we become.

This book is a available at Amazon and Christian Book dot com.

I have a little more to share about the book but I thought this is the perfect time to share about my own second calling and to share with you some prayer requests.

I realized my second calling a little over 6 years ago when I founded an organization called Mission Makeover. Today through Mission Makeover I minister to teen age boys and girls that are in prison. (When I began working with at-risk youth 6 years ago I had no idea that teenagers were in prison.) Our ministry has changed much and is now devoted to prison ministry.

Each Friday my Cowboy and I work at the local food bank with 4-6 boys or girls from the prison units. During the summer and school holidays the boys work. During the school year the girls work.

Today was the first day the girls have been back since May. I had an opportunity to talk today to the staff a young lady whom I have met many times but never had an opportunity to talk to. Today God gave me the chance to minister to this young lady. She was/is going through some personal financial difficulties. She shared some of it with me. I could see the frustration and the pain in this poor young woman. I could see the questions and the doubt. I could see the hurt and confusion. And I could see that she has a huge hole in her heart.

I didn't get a chance to talk one on one with the girls today but I did learn about their legal issues. One girl that is 17 has two outstanding warrants one is burglary of a habitat. The sentence for this offence is 2-99 years. When she is released from the youth facility she will go to court for the burglary charge.

It breaks my heart to think that this darling sweet young lady could be facing such a sentence.

Today I want to ask you my readers to pray for these two young women. The staff I will call Brandi. The 17yo let's call her Vicki. Please pray that God will reveal himself to them. Please pray that Vicki is able to get some much needed legal help (we are advocates and working on her case) Please pray for Brandi and her 5yo son. We are taking them food this weekend.

Please come back here next Friday for updates on these prayer needs and please come by on Monday for my Monday 4 Mission post. I'll be sharing more about the ministry and my Second Calling.



Embracing Your Second Calling was provided by . .


I review for BookSneeze

7 comments:

Denise said...

Praying for these dear ones.

Karen said...

May the Lord continue to bless your ministry...praying for these requests....

Wanda said...

Sounds like you have a wonderful opportunity to impact the lives through your second calling. Agreeing with you in prayer that these needs will be met.

Lily said...

Praying for your intentions.
~Lily
www.neverfadingwood.blogspot.com

MTJ said...

Hi My Journey Back,

Thanks for sharing your compassionate concerns for Brandi and Vicki. I will be praying for them as well.

Blessings and peace.

MTJ

Peggy said...

Praying for you & Cowboy, your mission ministry, and these petitions for these 2 precious young women!!!

Tea with Tiffany said...

Father God, I lift up these young lives to you. Please LORD grant favor in the eyes of the courts for them. Use this time to shake them and turn their lives around for your purpose. Heal their broken hearts. I lift up all those who need food. Please Father God use Your people to help others in their time of need. Allow those who are needy to find ways to get back on their feet. I also pray for the prison ministry. Continue to call people to support those men and women. Allow Your Word to touch and change their lives forever. In Jesus name, Amen.

(Thanks for linking up with Sweet P's. Next Friday I invite you to link up with a direct prayer to God. That way we can pray the prayer you write along with you. There is powerful in prayer. Thanks and God bless you as you live out your purpose.)