Pages

Monday, August 31, 2020

Menu Monday- Batch Cooking-Oven Steamed Rice

Welcome to the blog today is Menu Monday the day that I share my plans for meals this week
And today I'm sharing a batch cooking post how I cook perfect oven steamed rice so after the menus check out Perfect Oven Steamed Rice

I usually plan my Menu on Saturday when I am writing my Happy Homemaker post.  Sometimes by Monday I've changed my mind. LOL.  Or I look in the freezer I see I didn't have what I thought I had.  Or more often than not I am bored and decided that what I chose was boring. 
Or well it all goes to _____________ in a hand basket.  
Hmm Do you know where that saying came from?

Monday Chicken Alfredo with 3 Cheese Ravioli, Caesar Salad and Garlic Bread  Well I ended up cooking the Alfredo on Sunday nights.  So now what am I going to cook tonight?  
Monday Kielbasa, Mustard Greens, Fried Potato's oh yum my mouth is watering thinking about those Potato's Chorizo Corn Bread
Tuesday in that rut again can't get away from Taco's!
Wednesday Pan Seared Pollock, Oven Roasted Potato's, a cup of Gumbo
Thursday Swiss Enchilada's an old family recipe.  The Cowboy made in Home Ec. back in the day.  I'll add some fresh veggies and a Salad
Friday Spaghetti and Meatballs, Salad and Bread  I got some Italian Sausage at the new grocery.  I will be 'Batch Cooking' some Meatballs. 

So that is my Menu in all is boring glory.  Maybe I need to 
lurk around your blogs and borrow your menus!  
Leave me a comment and invite to your blog!

And now 
Perfect Oven Steamed Rice

I prefer Minute Rice
But I really can't afford it
We eat alot of Rice
I grew up eating Minute Rice.  I have no idea how my mother afforded it.  I suspect things are just more expensive now!  

I don't know why my mother never cooked Regular Rice.  
She had a gas stove.  I don't know if that was the deal or not.
I suspect that when Minute Rice came out she was hooked!

My M.I.L. cooked Success Rice and she had a gas stove. 
Hmm.

O.K. so here's how I do it . . . 

Pre-heat over to 350

I use this pot.  It is stainless steel and big.  If you look close you can see a little oil in the bottom.  I re-use oil that I've fried chips or potato's in . . . 
You don't want to brown it.  Just put in and turn burner on then add the Rice . . .
 
I either add 1 cup or Rice for me and Cowboy or 2 cups if I am cooking a batch for the dogs 

1 palm of Salt for 1 cup.  2 for 2 cups Rice drop on top of the Rice and stir in. 


I use this measuring cup and fill about a half an inch above the 2 cup measure.  For 1 cup Rice you use 2 cups plus the 1/ 2 inch. 
For 2 cups Rice you fill twice making 4 cups plus the 1/2 inch.
Set aside. 
No we will slightly Brown (term) the Rice.  We are not really wanting a Brown color only toasting it.  Now stir and stir and stir.
I spread the Rice around the pan and stir, keep spreading and moving the Rice around.  When all the kernals have Oil on them and are toasted add the water.  The pan should be really hot and steam and sizzle.  Kind of like when you Stir Fry when you add the water. 
Now turn up the burner and wait till it boils
You don't need a rolling boiling just a good beginning with a bunch of bubbles.   Once it's bubbling good then put on a lid and put in oven.  Turn the oven down to 300 and cook for 20 minutes. 
After 20 minutes it should be perfect.  If you still see a little water put on the back burner that has the option to get heat from the oven and let it sit there for awhile.  Turn off the oven. 
Perfect Steamed Rice!

Your dogs and your husband will love it!

Leave me a comment and let me know if you try my method!

Thanks for stopping in!








I am linking with my regular parties some of the buttons 

may be on the bottom of the page



New Link Party





Penny's Passion: Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop - July 8, 2020
Over here at Penny's Passion 



















Saturday Link-Ups - My Joy-Filled Life



No comments: