Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2021

The Donkeys Of Southlake Sharing A Memory

 

This sweet image reminds me of our daughter when she was just a Wee One.  

Someday there are things that happen or things you see that remind you of sweet memories.


When our daughter was 13 she became smitten with Miniature Donkeys.  It was this time of year way back when that we first met the mini's and for her it was Love At First Sight.   

I could ramble on and share memories and reminiscing but this post isn't vso much about that isn't what this post is about today.


Today I am sharing the story of three mini Donkeys that we and many others lived from a far.

Back in 2000 we moved back to Texas to one of few horse properties left in Southlake.  

Not far at a busy intersection lived 3 Mini Donkeys.  We passed them on the way to the feed store or other places.

Donkeys live to be over 30 and many years later they still charmed us until one day we saw construction going on one property.  It was sad the next time we went by and they were gone. 

Months went buy and several businesses were built including a bank.


And then one day we were taking the dogs to the lake and we saw this . . .  

It was hard to take pictures with the sun but there were no cars and so I pulled in and took pictures anyway.
This was a precious site me.
We realized we were not the only ones that loved this family.

When I got home I decided to see if I could find out what happened to these sweet charmers!

They are still sorely missed by the community of Southlake.

“I actually really cried when I found out they had been relocated,” Southlake resident Jo Hyman says. “I know it was for the best, and I am so happy they are living a good life. However, starting my day and ending my day with these creatures was a blessing.”

Other residents, like Frances Scharli and Jennifer O'Brien Thrailkill simply miss hearing them. 

“I loved to hear them bray when I took early morning tennis lessons at Southlake Tennis Center,” Frances says.                    

For many others, the donkeys were a fun way to introduce their children to the old farm feel of Southlake. Families would routinely visit, bestowing the donkeys with affection and treats.

“We would cut up apples and walk over once a week and feed them,” Michelle Woolf says. “It was something we looked forward to. They lived right behind us. We miss them dearly!”

Stephanie Mehan, who has lived in Southlake for a little over two years, got here just in time to enjoy the donkeys. Her kids, Tommy (4) and Evelyn (3), joined her on weekly visits.        

“Having donkeys behind a bank in town is just something you don't see every day,” she says. “We loved spending Sunday mornings there when everything was quiet and just waking up. It was a peaceful few moments in the midst of busy days.”


While they are gone, the donkeys are certainly not forgotten. 

Join me tomorrow when I share the rest of the story . . . 

. . . Here's a hint stop over at M Reading Journeys and visit my Own The Road feature
Today I am Featuring a character interview/guest post.  Click Here






No comments: