Pages

Friday, April 17, 2020

A New Project-A New Kind Of Sewing

I finished a fun project this week.  This was something new for me.

Package wrapped and all ready to mail.  I wrapped in white tissue because the project is white.  I realized the envelope is really thin and I was afraid if it should get wet that a colored tissue might bleed.  I used some fibers and wrapped like a present. 

I bought these fibers at marked down really cheap at Hobby Lobby thinking they were for crocheting because they were in the yarn section. 


I realized they are being used in Junk Journals. 
The new project was Lace Tabs for Junk Journals
No photo description available.
The Tabs can be sewn on to the pages of a Junk Journal to decorate it.  
The instructions required the Tabs to be 3x5".  I thought that was kind of big.  But I followed the instructions . . . 

I began with a strip of Muslin fabric that was about 2" wide.  I tore it to make the strip so the edges would fray.  I laid pieces of lace 
on the strip and sewed them down.
When I completed two strips I sewed them together to make 1 piece that was 3" Then I decorated by adding more layers of lace.

This was a fun project.  And even though I am finished and the SWAP is mailed I am planning on making more. 



It gave me a chance to use a few pieces of lace that I have/had that I did not know what to do with.  In the center of this photo you can see a piece that kind of looks like wings.  It was a big piece that looked like it was meant to sew on a dress.  It had blue and pink sequins and beads that I cut off.  I cut it in about half and attached to the tab.  In the lower left you can see a crocheted flower I made years ago. 

I made this one different making my foundation piece 3x5 and then sewing pieces mostly flat.  Very little layering on this one.
I used small pieces of beading in this one.  And a triangle piece of tatting.  I only have a very little strip so I use it sparingly.  It is very old. 
A closer look. 
I loved how this one turned out.  I wanted to keep it.  I am glad I have the pics so I can copy it and make another one to keep.

I enjoyed this project and learned a new kind of sewing.  The Tabs I made for my partner are in the mail.  I can't wait to see what she sends me!

Do you sew?  Do you make Junk Journals or are you interested in learning to make one?  You can browse Pinterest and you can find groups on Facebook.    

I hope you have a great day!
Thanks for stopping by!



1 comment:

Michelle said...

My paternal grandmother was a very talented seamstress/quilter/crafter and I did not inherit that talent. I like seeing your creations!