Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

I Will Not Be Silent-Book Review

I want to thank April Maley for sending me I Will Not Be Silent her story. I have to give this book 5 stars. There are many parts of April's story that will sadden you. There are a few pages that are difficult to read. But this is the true story of April's life. The best part I have to say is although she went through a horrible childhood; with faith and determination she got through it and through early adulthood and has emerged a woman of faith. In her book April candidly shares her heartache and pain and her journey toward God and his grace and love.

There are parts of this story that saddened me and made me angry at how things were handled by law enforcement and social services. My heart grieved for April and her family. It saddened me that they were not able to get help. I admire April's desire to share her story with others in the hopes that it will help other women that are suffering from domestic abuse.

I Will Not Be Silent is well written. It was one of those books that you don't want to put down.

From the back cover: "I lived through years of physical, mental, and emotional abuse: alcoholism; rejection; murder; illness; and insanity. I have battled my own inner demons as a result of that fateful day. It is my greatest wish to create a broader awareness and preventative action for child abuse and domestic violence, and provide hope for those who find themselves trapped in those situations. The cycle can be broken."

A review from the website:
Maley drew me in from the very first sentence. She writes to her readers and I felt like I was having a conversation with a dear friend instead of reading a stranger's horrifying life story. The things that April Maley has gone through will break your heart. Her story is very powerful---I cried three times reading this and when I finished, I was so affected that I thanked God for my own happy childhood. I finished this book with a resolve to do something to help victims of child abuse and domestic violence.

A portion of the proceeds from the book go to Mohr-Maley Foundation. You can visit the I Will Not Be Silent website for more information and to purchase the book. You can also purchase at Amazon. Here is the direct link

3 comments:

Farming On Faith said...

Hello Sherry~
It sounds like a wonderful book. I have a pile to read. I am going to get busy now that the kids have gone back to Washington. I sure miss that little guy~
I am going to catch up on all your post I missed. Sure is nice to catch up with all my blog friends!

Denise said...

Great review.

Nat said...

Hi! I'm so glad she sent you her book. I was just getting on your blog to write you and tell you I'd send you my copy if you didn't win it in our contest. It was an excellent book, wasn't it?
Kelli