Pages

Friday, March 14, 2008

Collection of quilts for my Children and Grandchildren

A Collection of Quilts for my children and grandchildren
(updated on Monday...I cropped one of the photos and it looks so much better. I added the dummies at blogging tag too!)

Hi Welcome again to my Show and Tell. I got the inspiration from Kelli over at There's no place like home.
Today I wanted to show you a quilt that I pieced for my daughter when she started college. I was on a trip to Texas using a borrowed friends car so I didn't want to drive too much so I went to a non quilt shop to purchase these fabrics. I got the inspiration from a magazine that I read on my trip down. My daughter was at the time planning to be a school teacher.
Notice that I said in my first line I pieced the quilt. As you can tell it isn't quilted yet. My daughter told me that she really hoped that she wouldn't start getting a bunch of apple themed gifts when she became a teacher. The quilt top got finished and packed away. I never told her about the quilt. BTW she changed her major and went into agriculture. She works for a large chicken producer and is expecting her first child.
Here is a photo of the current quilt that I am working on for her. Hopefully it will not become a part of the unfinished collection. And she will enjoy it.
I started this one a couple of years ago. It is a Cathedral Window and is hand pieced and quilted basically at the same time. It will be a large throw for her living room. It ends up being a really heavy quilt and really warm.
The next photo in this collection was fun.
This quilt I kind of "messed up" a bit. I took an easy star pattern with squares and triangles and instead of making a star I designed a new pattern. I like the way it turned out and it was good experience. It made a great just playtime quilt.
I hope you enjoyed seeing these quilts. I'll post more soon.
Have a Blessed Day and enjoy Show and Tell over at Kelli's blog. Her button is on my sidebar click on it and go see the Show and Tell's there.

10 comments:

Constance said...

This didn't make the guidelines? What the ...!!

I love the quilt tops! I had to laugh about the apple and teacher comment from your daughter. My best friend Brenda, her sister is a teacher and she said she has so much apple stuff she could gag an elephant! Ha Ha! (The only problem is she's a Democrat! Actually now that I think about it, that kind of makes sense!)
Have a great weekend!
Connie

Constance said...

DUH!!I realized the porch was your 1 st S&T! For some dumb reason, I thiught that was last weeks! Ha Ha! I think I need another cup of coffee, or maybe breakfast! It's after 11AM! I'm clearly not thinking straight!
Connie

Brenda said...

I love the quilts...especially the 2nd one! So pretty! Thanks for sharing! God Bless.

nannykim said...

I love all of the quilts (even the unqilted one! ;-) ) The Cathedral quilt is really nice--you will have to show us a more complete picture of it sometime. I like apples; a lot so an apple collection doesn't sound bad to me;-). Congrats on the little one due in May!

nancy said...

I love a quiltmaker with imagination. Trying something a little different always makes it more interesting. The Cathedral window pattern is gorgeous.
Nancy

Cjdusse said...

Beautiful quilt. I am going to make one too - if I can get myself to buy the cloth and to convince myself that I will be able to do it! Thnks for sharing

JEWELGIRL said...

Great work! I am impressed by
anyone who can make quilts!
Just lovely!

The Apron Queen said...

I bet it is warm all snuggled up under one of your quilts!

Stop on by for a visit at http://anapronaday.blogspot.com. Made some Kiss Me I'm Irish Beef & Cabbage yesterday & posted the recipe. Come on over, I'll fix you a plate!

Barbara H. said...

What lovely quilts! That's too bad about the apple one. Maybe some day you'll come across someone who decorates with that theme -- I know a couple of people who do or did.

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

Nora Lee said...

What beautiful quilts. I have been thinking about learning to quilt, my mother is very good at it, but right now I think I'll have to wait until after my daughter is married in June, just too much going on right now.

Great show and tell!

Sandra