Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Crunchy Summer Salad by Author Laurel Blount

 Hello and Welcome.  Today I want to share a summer Salad idea I got from my friend to and  Author Laurel Blount. 

Laurel shared this fun idea in her news letter.  I got it today. 

And it was perfect timing I was already planning on making some soup from the same ingredients.  

I had found Broccoli on sale the other day.  Then the next day I found gorgeous Cauliflower. 


And then yesterday our neighbor gave me Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Celery and some gorgeous Red Grapes!  

Here's Laurels Salad . . . 

From Laurels newsletter . . .

It’s almost too hot to cook so this is a great time to revisit one of my favorite make-ahead lunches—mason jar salads. Have you tried these? They’re easy to make, keep for at least a week in your fridge, (I’ve stretched it to a week and a half) and they’re healthy, too! Plus, you can make them with all your favorite ingredients—what’s not to love?


Lettuce (I often tear up romaine or use a ready-made spring mix I can buy at my local grocery)


Broccoli or carrots or some other firm “boundary veggie”


Cucumbers, tomatoes, garbanzo beans, sliced green onions or whatever else you love in a salad!


Here’s what you do:


Simple layer the “wetter” ingredients at the bottom of your jar. I usually put in garbanzo beans, chopped cucumber, green onion and sliced black olives. 

Then put in a layer of “barrier” veggies. I love to use cut up raw broccoli and carrots. Then stuff your lettuce on top and close with a lid. (I have found that the plastic screw tops on my mayonnaise jars fit mason jars perfectly!)


I usually make five or six of these at a time, and they stay crisp and fresh for at least a week. To serve, just dump it into a bowl and add your dressing and any toppings, like croutons. These make healthy eating easy and quick and portable. Plus, don’t they look pretty in the jars? 


Thanks Laurel for giving me this great idea to use up all those veggies I bought and got 'Free'. 

Y'all need to go by and visit Laurel and sign up for her newsletter!  

I Love it's country feel.  I know you will love it too!  Sign up over Here


Tomorrow I will share the soup recipe.  It's in the Church Ladies Cookbook I showed in the first photo.  


See you soon! 





No comments: