Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Book Review-The Last Christian

The Last Christian by David GregoryGenre: Speculative Christian Fiction, ThrillerPages: 407 Date Published: May 4, 2010Publisher: WaterBrook MultnomahRating: 5 of 5 stars


This was an interesting book for me. The book set in the future is not something I would normally read but the storyline intrigued me.


I have to say I had a little difficulty with it because it struck me as 'dark'. As a Christian reading it was difficult because it does make you stop and think. In reality something like this could actually happen and that is a scary thought.


I did really enjoy the story. I thought it was well written. Personally I was a little bored with the scientific part of it but it was necessary to the story and so I struggled through those parts.


I was intrigued with the characters and I thought that Mr. Gregory did an excellant job of developing them. It really was a great story but I was left wishing it had ended differently.


The story is about Abby the daughter of missionaries to a remote tribe of people in New Guinea. When illness strikes and her parents and the people of the tribe begin dying Abby is forced to seek help. She leaves the remote village and makes an attempt to reach civilization and bring back help. Abby manages to get near to civilization and is found and taken to a hospital where she enlists help.


Only to return too late. Abby returns to find she is the sole survivor. So begins the investigation into what happened to the village people. Why did they all die? Why was Abby not affected? Then miraculously Abby receives a 16 year old message from her grandfather. A message telling Abby she must return to the United States. A message telling her of her destiny as The Last Christian who will re-introduce Christianity in Amercia. No matter how insurmountable the odds Abby chooses to follow her grandfathers instructions.


From the back cover . . . Abby becomes an unwitting target of powerful men who will stop at nothing to further their nefarious goals. In this fast-paced thriller, startling near-future science collides with thought-provoking religious themes to create a spell-binding "what-if" novel."


This intriguing book can be purchased at Amazon or at Random House


Thanks to Waterbrook Multnomah for prividing a copy of The Last Christian for this review.