Pages

Tuesday, April 4, 2017

The Birthday Guest That . . .

. . . cooked 
 :
I really didn't intend for her to cook.   We planned her favorite meal Fettuccine Alfredo for her birthday dinner.

I planned a simple table around the bowls I intended to serve the salad and pasta in.  The table was set. . .

I selected vintage Corelle.  I bought at a yard sale just because I 
love vintage.  The table was simple with inexpensive flatware,
the Corella and stemmed glasses from Dollar Tree.  I think stemmed glassware always makes a table look elegant even if it is Ala Cheap!
 :   Our favorite Alfredo recipe is from this cookbook.  This is her copy she bought when she got married.  My tattered copy is in a box in the garage.  

She also brought the cookie cake.  
She is much loved.  She brought one of 3 cookie cakes.  She had 6 cupcakes at home and flowers and a few other gifts from students. 

I was super organized.  I bought iceberg mix salad like Olive Garden.  I had black olives in the fridge and I had picked romaine and swiss chard from the garden washed and it was chilling.  I added red onions while she was cooking the sauce.

So when it was time to eat all I had to do was boil pasta and make sauce.  I actually don't like making Alfredo.  For some reason it's hard for me.  I just can't seem to remember the recipe and I am constantly going from recipe to sauce and back.   So I recruited her to read me the recipe.  That didn't last long.  So moved me over and began her magic . . . 
  :
Good thing it was a pony tail day! 
 :
My original plan was to serve the sauce and noodle from large 
plain white new Corelle bowls.  We decided the pot worked 
better.  So the bowls we used for the bread . . .
 :
The waiting table.  I added clear cut glass plates.  There were my mothers they are old.   The salad is served from the large bowl from a container store nesting bowl set.  Love it! .
Not so nice for a salad bowl but it worked!  

Did you notice my lovely table runner.   Just a plain 'ole black towel I grabbed at the last minute.  One of the stemmed glasses got replaced by a plastic glass for our grandson.  My daughter was nervous about him handling the glass.  

Everything was lovely.  It was a Blessing to celebrate our daughters 35 birthday.  Oh my word!  I can't believe it!  
The entertainment began right after the meal.  X box.  Always fun for a boy and his Pa.

Note to self....
  • shop for large glass bowl for salad
  • shop for appropriate vessel to serve bread in
  • make a table runner 
  • Next class at GiGi's drinking from stemware
Happy Birthday Jennifer!
I'll be planning a birthday celebration for the 8 year old soon
What fun!




No comments: