Pages

Tuesday, December 5, 2017

A Christmas Story/Family Tradition

Welcome and Merry Christmas.  I am so happy because Christmas is my favorite time of the year.  
Image result for christmas blog post dividers
(all the photos shared in the post found on pinterest)

In our home we had a tradition of eating all of our meals beginning December 1 on special Christmas dinnerware.  Both of our children have carried on the tradition.
 Dimples and Tangles: CHRISTMAS TOUR PART 2 {2015 CHRISTMAS HOME TOURS} 
It all started back in the mid 90's when I stumbled onto some pretty Christmas dishes at Sam's Club.  I thought they were pretty and were an affordable price so I bought a set. 
table scapes with spode christmas | Creative Journeys: Merry Christmas!! and a gift for you Tablescape  
We began the tradition that first year.  We all thought it was fun to eat on special plates.  The first set came with a service of 4.  We were happy with them and we all loved the  new tradition. 
We set a simple table each night.  Nothing fancy.  No extras.
Mad for Plaid
Source
Sam's Club surprised me the next year by having another set.  This time besides the service of 4 there were a couple of serving pieces.  My creative juices began to flow and I thought why not buy a set for each of the kids.  And so since they were so affordable I bought three sets that year. 
We still set a simple table each evening.  But we only used 2 sets of dishes because I gave each of the 2 kids their set at Christmas  I saved and stored their sets in my Christmas closet which was a huge closet under the stairs.
Spode Christmas Tree
Source
A tradition had begun.  They loved the sugar bowls and little creamers that came with their sets.  The sugar bowl is in the above pic.
Image result for christmas blog post dividers
And so I was on a roll.  My plan was to go to Dillard's and buy a serving piece each year for each of the kids.  They had seen the brochures in the boxes and picked out a couple of pieces that first year they liked . . . 
Image result for spode christmas milk jug
Our son loved the milk jug
Our daughter asked for the tea pot
And so I happily trotted off to Dillards to purchase their pieces to go under the tree.
Image result for christmas blog post dividers
Much to surprise this wasn't just a cute little set of dishes.  This was a very expensive set of dishes!  I was totally clueless at how good a deal I got at Sam's.  

Image result for christmas blog post dividers
I was stuck.  So from then on I had to budget Christmas.  The 
first few years it wasn't too bad.  Then for a few years the budget was a little 'lean'.  Then one year I found the dishes at Stein Mart
a discount high end store in our area. 
My Christmas Tree Spode Collection at home, just part of it...
The pin did not have the original source
After a few years our kitchen hutch looked pretty much like this one.  I ended up having to buy 2's of everything as the kids got older and I started thinking about them being married.  
Image result for christmas  post dividers
One year they each got a set of ramekins . . . 
They originally came in a set of 4.  Now 1 is available at Replacements for $15.99.

One year I bought the fluted serving dish.  And another year  the oval baker . . . 

Click to Enlarge

Then one year many years later.  My son was married so he had already taken his bounty.  Our daughter was engaged.  And in an apartment but I still had her set.

The Cowboy and I went to a Sunday School Class party.  And guess what was in one of the Chinese gift exchange packages!
Click to Enlarge

Actually it was a set of two.  They nested into each other. I cried 
when I saw them.  I had already lost my chance to 'steal' but my
Cowboy had the last # or the first # I guess because he was able to get them!  One for each of my kids! 
 Related image
I loved the tradition of buying and adding to the collections
for each of my kids.  

For a few years it was a little sad after our daughter got married 
and took her set. 
Image result for christmas blog post dividers
Even though the  Cowboy and I have eaten on our regular every day pottery.  There are many memories that fill my heart. 

Image result for christmas blog post dividers
And I know that my kids are making memories with their kids. 
This year my daughter is engaged.  She has already started sharing this tradition with her husband to be.  
 Related image
Even though the Cowboy and I use our everyday pottery we can still remember the fun times we shared.  

But the story doesn't end here . . . 
Come back tomorrow for the rest of the story and the new tradition!

Merry Christmas


Linking at 
The Fabulous Party . . . 
 Click here to visit the party and link up!
And I am linking at a few favorites too . . . 
Create With Joy
Share Your Cup
Raven Would
Dagmar's House
Grammy's Grid
Make My Saturday Sweet








No comments: