Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Cook Book Review

I found another cookbook I really enjoyed!  I mentioned in my post last Tuesday that I enjoy visiting my local library.  It is a great place to find new books and check them out to see if you want to buy!


I have always been a fan of Valerie Bertinelli.  I remember her in
One Day At A Time.   As a teenager I wished I was as gorgeous!

I especially like the title of the cookbook and the discription. 
Slimmed down favorites and more.  A lot of the recipes are
inspired by Jenny Craig.

Here's a little from the publishers site . . .

I fell in love with my husband Tom while cooking dinner with him. When we cook together now, we fall in love all over again.

For a personal message from Valerie, click here.

That’s because, after all these years, I have come to a place where food is a joy, a celebration, something to share. And now I want to share what I’ve learned along the way with you.

In ONE DISH AT A TIME, I share over 100 of my favorite dishes. They’re the dishes I love and live every day — that satisfy me, body and soul, and help me feel happier and healthier than I have in years.

• Teeny-tiny little No-Crust Quichettes
• Lime Shrimp Skewers, so plump and
juicy!
• Authentic Pasta e Fagioli, straight from
the Old Country
• Crowd-pleasing Express Beef
Bourguignon
• Rich chocolate Classic Gooey Brownies


I really enjoyed the cookbook.  The recipes are inviting and the photo's beautiful and make you want to try them all.

I will definately be trying some soon!

While preparing this post I checked out Valerie's website also  . . .

Homemade and lower-calorie!
There was a link to this recipe on her blog . . .Jalepeno Popper Redemtion Recipe Click Here

And here's another one I plan to try this week!  I even happen to have all the main ingredients.
Like eggplant which I was debating what to do with!

Tuscan Style Soup (Steve Fenn/ABC)
Tuscan Style Soup

Ingredients


1 1/4 cup eggplant, peeled and cubed
1 cup water
1 can whole tomatoes, no salt added, undrained and chopped (14 1/2-ounce)
1 can sliced mushrooms, drained (OR 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small summer (yellow) squash, coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning, dried
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
12 oz can chicken broth, reduced sodium
8 tbsp Pecorino Romano cheese, freshly grated

Cooking Directions

Combine the first 10 ingredients in a large saucepan, stirring well.

Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

To serve, ladle soup into individual bowls; sprinkle 2 tbsp of Pecorino Romano cheese.


Yummy.  I am off to start a pot of soup! 

Have a Happy Tuesday
Sherry


2 comments:

Denise said...

Sounds awesome.

Helen said...

Thank you for all the lovely information on the cook book I am going over to the site now :-))))