Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Potlock part 1

                                            Image result for vintage potluck
What kind of memories does this simple word conjure up for you?
Potlock . . . 
Did you have good family memories?
Do you immediately think chocolate cake? 
Do you just envision table after table of food?
                               
                                        Image result for vintage potluck
      Do you think Sunday lunch?  Or family reunions?
                                    Or Deviled Eggs?
                                    Or Potato Salad?
                My mouth is watering thinking about it!  
               
My most vivid memories of Pot Luck were when we went to family reunion.  Which by far were the boring 'est' few years of my preteen existence.  And a few years of my childhood before that. 
             
As I write I questions go through my mind that I never bothered to 
ask my parents.  Like why did we never go to reunions before I was 12? 
Twelve that was the first year we started going a couple hours away to the tiny town of Weatherford,Texas. 
                                        Image result for mary martin weatherford
                                           The home of Mary Martin.
                                       And peaches.
I think the peaches is the 'real' reason my mother wanted to go. 
(It was my fathers family)  

I remember the first time walking in to the community room at a local park.  The ceiling had orange painted egg cartons covering it! 

            Snazzy! It was the 70's. I didn't get it.  Still don't.

I didn't 'get' being drug over to all these poor old (at least I thought they were) people that were clueless who I was but were so happy to see me.  

Isn't it weird.  You have these family members you never see. Never hear from but they act all excited to see you and then you never see them again.  

At least that's the way it was back then.  Before the internet and the genealogy crazy. 

And that was the population at these reunions.  The absolute 
total number of children was 1.  Me.  My brother and sister were teenagers.  Actually they were almost adults too.  
                              blossom border
                              Fun times were had by all!

I think I'll go boil an egg or two.  The Cowboy makes the best deviled eggs!

                     How about a Potluck!
Linking at The Loft



9 comments:

Molly the Airedale said...

We think of beef stew as potluck. And boy oh boy do we love deviled eggs! yummmmmmmm

Linda Kay said...

So funny. I do remember those potluck reunions, but there were usually lots of distant cousins to enjoy time with, as we were from big German families. The food was always delicious, and we've captured some of those in the cookbook with my mom. Funny that our friends from up in Whitney are coming to FBG for an RV trip in April, so we have invited them to potluck at our house one night. Last night I got a message that the total is now up to 42 people! Oh, well, with a potluck and some decent weather, we can manage. Have a great day.

Latane Barton said...

I so wish that a bunch of us bloggers could get together and have a big ole dinner on the ground. Remember those? And, that yummy food. And, of course, deviled eggs. A meal wasn't a meal without them.

Jerralea said...

I always think of church dinners when I think of potlucks, but family reunions are definitely potluck kind of meals. I never went to reunions when I was a child or young adult. Now I see the value in them when you actually connect with family. I sure wish I had went and asked a lot of questions when I had the chance!

Thanks for sharing this at The Loft.

Denise said...

enjoyed your memories.

bj said...

ooo, we loved our family reunions...most were at the lake in Okla...everyone brought tents and we camped out by the lake for two days, eating, talking, building fires, playing cards and dominoes...then, when campers came along, everyone came in those and they were the downfall of the reunions...instead of being with ea other, everyone stayed in their campers. After a few yrs of that, the reunions died off....

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Love potluck! We do it a ton in our family. In fact, I host a stitching group at my home on Thursdays with friends. They will be bringing potluck tomorrow. We have been doing it for years and only twice did we have mostly sweets. Usually we have a wonderful assortment. Love the fun photos that you shared!
hugs,
Jann

Ida said...

Lots of memories from Church Potlucks come to mind. One was of a man that attended our church who could eat and eat and eat...his plate was always stacked high with food and he was as tall and skinny as could be. I don't know how he did it.

My other Potluck memory was when I swallowed a large ice cube while drinking during the prayer before the meal and nearly choked to death. Not fun.

Leah Adams said...

Potluck meals are my favorite kind of meal. You get so much variety and so many wonderful dishes. Our church had a potluck meal on the first Wednesday night of each month. So many of the ladies would bring the same dish each month and we all eagerly waited for them to show up. My Grandma always took chicken and dumplings. My Bible study group does a pot luck at the end of each study. We enjoy them so much. Thanks for linking up with us at The Loft!