Pages

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Thankful Thursday

The talk today over at Thankful Thursday is about friends. As I was thinking about the topic I was wishing that I could have put some photo's of some of my old friends. In days past we might have looked something like this. . .
O.K. I know your cracking up. No we didn't wear pink. And we weren't that old. But look at the shopping bags. There were days gone by I might have been in this photo with at least a few bags either from a fun antique shop or kitchen or home shop. Or I might have been carrying a bigger bag filled with fabric!
Speaking of fabric I have many old friends that I met during the days that I was taking quilting classes. They are all old (I don't mean in age) and dear. And no matter how long it's been I have one friend that when I call to catch up it is like I talked to her yesterday. She is my dear sweet friend Jacque. She moved away to a different town. I think I should call her today and catch up. And I will tell her that I am thankful for her.
Then there is another really old friend I have not talked to in years. It is Julie. We met at church. She had two wild boys. I had one semi-wild boy and one girl that had to deal with all those crazy boys. I remember the days when we would take our two and the two we were both baby sitting and pile in her van and go to Poncho's the all you can eat Mexican buffet. Way back then all the kids at free. Great for our budgets. There are lots of memories that I share with my friend Julie. And I am thankful for everyone of them. I miss my friend. I wonder if I can find her on Facebook? Even if I can't I am thankful today that I could call her friend.
I could write about many more old dear friends. I could write about many near and dear new friends.
But the friend that I am most thankful for is Jesus. There are many years of memories we share. Even though I don't spend as much time with him as I should. He is always there waiting for me. Ready to whisper I love you in my ear. There are many times I need to hear that whisper. There are many times I need to stop and rest and wait in peacefulness for that sound.
I hope that today as you are thinking about friends that you get a chance to stop and rest and what for that sweet sound.
Thank you God for my friends. And thank you God for Jesus my BFF!




8 comments:

More Than Words said...

Oh, I can totally relate to this post! I'm so thankful for friends that were in my past, and ones that I continue to meet now. I've come to realize that we may have friends for only a season, and some we may have for years. Nonetheless, we all grow from our friendships!!

Thank you for stopping by my blog, and for your sweet comment!!!!

Sandy said...

Thank you for sharing this great post and for commenting to me.
Did you go to
www.texas-blogginggals.blogspot.com?
I don't still live in Texas, am in Oklahoma now,close to the border, but Diana wanted to include me on her site, because I did live in Texas.

Michelle said...

So thankful for friends. We have learned over the years that they are something that God blesses us with not something we find. If that makes sense. Love the picture!

Joan Hall said...

A good friend is worth gold! I have a friend from high school that I haven't in years. I won't say how many.:) I've tried to find her on Facebook, but so far have been unsucessful. We should always make time to tell our friends how much they mean to us.

Blessings,
Joan

Denise said...

This was such a beautiful post. I love you.

Whidbey Woman said...

Great post. I am thankful for past, present and future friends. Tonight I am thankful for the friends I've made in blogland. Thankful Thursday, Word Filled Wednesday and Spiritual Sundays have truly been a blessing!

DJ at The Quiet Quill said...

Yes, there are some friends who may have moved away, and lot of time has passed, but once you are together again, it is as if no time has passed at all!

And yes, above all, Jesus is a true Friend - never giving up on us.

PS> I LOVE quilting too! Because of the recession, though, my husband's income has been greatly reduced, so I have had to quit quilting for a while - fabric is just a luxury! But I have so much to be thankful for. In the meantime, I was truly blessed by an anonymous quilting friend. I tell that story here:

http://thequietquill.blogspot.com/2009/09/my-secret-quilt-fairy-godmother.html

Karen said...

I enjoyed reading your grateful post...our friends are treasured jewels for sure...and the greatest and most precious stone is Jesus Christ...our BFF!