Pages

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Book Review--Soul to Soul Parenting

This is one review that I wish I didn't have to write. The main reason is I didn't read more than a few chapters of this book. Before you read my review I ask that you read it carefully and that you read it with an open mind. If you choose to leave a comment please pray about your comment before posting. The reason that I didn't finish reading the book is because only after a couple of pages I realized what the book was about. I did jump into about the middle just to make sure I was correct and I found that I totally disagree with the authors beliefs.
I considered not writing the review but I think that would be a disservice to my readers. If this book was found at a store I might read the covers and think that it could be a great tool for me to use or for my children. Again I would be terribly disappointed if I personally purchased the book.
The book is actually about Universilism.
I googled Universilism so I could understand it a little more before I started to write this post.
Here's what I found. Universalism refers to religious, theological, and philosophical concepts with universal ("applying to all") application or applicability. It is a term used to identify particular doctrines considering all people in their formation. In religion and theology, "universalism" is a principle that asserts that all people are under the consideration and Love of God, and that theological concepts (doctrines) which conform to this concept are in fact more in accord with the divine concepts.
A
church or community that calls itself Universalist may emphasize the universal principles of most religions and accept other religions in an inclusive manner, believing in a universal reconciliation between humanity and the divine. For example Abrahamic religions like Judaism, Christianity, and Islam still claim a universal value of their doctrine and moral principles because they feel they are inclusive.[1]A belief in one common truth is also another important tenet. The living truth is seen as more far-reaching than national, cultural, or religious boundaries

This is the discription I found on the authors website: A guidebook for parents who want to infuse greater spiritual awareness into everyday life, inspiring deeper meaning and connections within their family— Parents yearning for ways to inspire deeper meaning in their family’s busy lives will find a wealth of insight and user-friendly suggestions in the new book, Soul to Soul Parenting: A Guide to Raising a Spiritually Conscious Family (Wyatt-MacKenzie Publishing, June 2010). It’s both a guidebook filled with a wide-ranging “toolbox” of ideas and activities and a remarkable chronicle of one family’s spiritual journey. The author, Annie Burnside, M.Ed.—teacher, wife, mother of three, and professional soul nurturer—is a modern mom who utilizes everyday life experiences including mealtimes, books, movies, art, friendships, time in the car, and family outings to open perspectives and nourish souls, infusing a heightened spiritual awareness into their lives.

I would not recommend this book. I would not purchase it. I felt very bothered reading it because of my own personal beliefs.

For more information you may visit the authors website by clicking here.

In fairness though and as part of my agreement with the publisher and the author who supplied the book for this review I am including the links to purchase it. Here is the Amazon link.

2 comments:

Denise said...

I agree with your review.

Melanie said...

Thanks for sharing the information. It sounds like something better left alone!