Pages

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Daisy's Friends

Happy Saturday to all. Each week I post about my dog Daisy or one of her Bloggie Doggie friends.
But today I have to take a break from her Bloggie Doggie friends and write about her cat friend.
This is Rascal and Daisy


The reason I am writing about Rascal today is because we are moving. Don't worry he is going with us but I need my blog friends and Daisy's blog friends to pray for him. (Yes it is o.k. to pray for a cat.) Rascal is an indoor/outdoor cat. He gets to sleep in the house when he sleeps all night; but he tends to wake up at 3 or 4 a.m. and wants outside. He scratches at the bedroom door and drives us nuts till we get up and let him out. I have a vision in my head of the flintsones and Fred kicking the cat out. Remember that? Anyway . . . here is out Rascal came to live with us.
He really is inside and outside all day long. He plays outside for awhile and comes in and takes a cat name. He has a wonderful internal clock because if he is out during the afternoon he always manages to come back to the door around 5:00 (dinner time amazing)

Rascal along with his brother Rocky were originally kittens that I took to our mission. Most of the kids that I work with don't have or have ever had a cat or a dog. If they have been around dogs usually they are big mean dogs that are meant to protect or bully. So; many of them are literally afraid of dogs. This is so sad to me because I am a firm believer that animals of any kind (except maybe snakes and rats I hate both but I am sure there are some that would disagree with me; but this is my blog and so; too bad)

Anyway I really do think animals are therapeutic and so I asked our horse vet to keep a look out for two boy barn kittens. He found Rocky and Rascal. I needed boys because he promised to "fix them" for me. I smile a little as I remember that he was a little sadistic but boy kittens are easy to fix and so he did and he donated all the shots since they were to be missionary cats. Now don't get me wrong he doesn't get to typically work on small animals and so in his somewhat warped mind it was a pleasure to be able to do the surgery.

They lived at the mission for a little over a year and a half. Just before the second Thanksgiving I took them home for the holiday because I began decorating the entire mission so it would be homey for the kids. I knew that the cats would end up on the table; in the decorations and climbing the Christmas tree.

They arrived home and settled in great and I slowly let them outside. They both loved the barn and stayed outside more and more.

The whole while my future son in law who worked at the mission but was at our house everyday because our daughter had moved back home kept asking me if he could have
Rascal. I kept telling him no because Rascal belonged to the girls. He kept bugging me and bugging me. I didn't want to separate Rocky and Rascal. They had been here about 5 weeks when one day Rocky didn't show up. We never found him.(Thank God. I kept having visions of finding him when I least expected I think you know what I mean)

Rascal was happy and getting along fabulously with our dog (not Daisy she came later) and my black cat Miss Kitty.

So I relented and let Jamie keep Rascal.(he stayed when the kids moved after the wedding) And so Rascal lives with us. He is an in and out cat.

We will be taking him with us and I'll try slowly to transition him but there is always the chance when you move a cat that something will happen to him.

So all my blog friends and all Daisy's bloggie doggie friends will you please pray for Rascal that he will get along ok once we move.

I hope that everyone has a great weekend. Enjoy your pet. And if you don't have one get one they will change your life for the better. Thanks for reading my story about Rascal. Once I am settled in with all this moving and stuff I'll post my pictures of him and Rocky and the girls.

Hugs,
Sherry and Daisy

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I wanted to stop by and thank you for visiting my Show and Tell yesterday - I love having new visitors.

I have read a few of your latest posts and it sounds like you hae a real challenge ahead of you - I trust you will find just the right place to live. It's a shame that your house will be destroyed.

Come back any time!