Pages

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Wordfilled Wednesday


I am the LORD, and there is no other; besides Me there is no God: I will gird you, though you have not known Me.....Isaiah 45:5 (NASB)
Welcome to Wordfilled Wednesday hosted by Amy
Today I had to use a stock photo from the computer but I hope you enjoy it along with the words of God. This is our memory verse this week. I joined Beth to encourage each other in scripture memory.
I hope you will consider joining us. Next Wednesday I will be putting Mr. Linky up and asking you to join and write a post about how you memorize scripture. Or how someone in your family memorizes. Or maybe even a fun story. I have a great story. So to get you started here is mine.
When our son was in the 4 and 5 year old Sunday School class he began bringing little prizes from Sunday School to "Big Church" after noticing this was consistently happening each week. And noticing the prizes and trinkets were getting nicer each week we began to ask him questions. Of course he had already told us his teacher gave them to him. We became rather suspicious about what was going on so finally one week when we picked him up with yet another prize we asked the teachers why he was getting them. They were all so happy to explain and also praise us (me and Cowboy) for so diligently working with him to memorize the Bible Verse each week.
As we are scratching our heads and looking at each other it dawns on me what is going on. You see we didn't know we were supposed to help him memorize verses. I guess we missed that part of orientation. LOL.
It almost immediately dawned on me what was going on so I asked. I knew the answer already "Do you have the verse on the wall?" Of course the answer came back "Yes" so I asked if I could see it. I remember these teachers so well Mr. and Mrs. (they were in their late 50's maybe 60's)Mr. and Mrs. Hodges were so proud of our son. I saw the bulletin board decorated beautifully illustrating the weekly verse. And another one with past verses.
I can imagine you are already figuring out what was going on. I asked them where the kids sat when they said the verses. The answer was in a circle on the floor. Which happened to face the bulletin boards. The mystery was quickly solved. Our darling 4 1/2 year old was reading. Each week Mr. and Mrs. Hodges asked him to say the verse and so each week he obliged. He didn't understand the memorization part or if he did it didn't make sense to him. Why would you memorize it when you can just read it.
Now many years later I of course understand the answer to that question. And so that is why I urge you to memorize scripture. I urge to help your children. No matter how small. No matter if they can even read. Help them Hide His words in their heart.
Please join me next Wednesday and share your story or how you memorize scripture.
This weeks verse...
I am the Lord, and there is no other; besides me there is no God; I will gird you, though you have not known me. Isaiah 45:5

4 comments:

Angela said...

Great and powerful message.

Toia said...

Thanks for sharing God's Word!! Happy WFW!!

Denise said...

Such a powerful WFW.

Cathy said...

A beautiful picture and verse ~