Pages

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Alphabet Thursday Letter W Watermark or Not

Winding down with Letter W. 
 Looks like we're almost to the end of the Alphabet with Jenny over at Alphabet Thursday . . .

This week I have been writing (oh that's another W word! forgive me I teach pre-school) about Watermarks on photo's. 

I was having a  little trouble earlier in the week with applying a Watermark to my photo's and wrote this post. 

The comments/tips I got from that post covered the spectrum from advise to comments from friends that don't use Watermarks on their photo's, to tips on how to. 

Watermarking was something that I haven't done until recently. 

Also, you'll notice no warning or request asking you not to use my photos. I am a very amateur photographer.  I have no problem with someone posting my photo's in fact I would be honored if someone liked them so much that they would want to use them. 

I have intentionally not put warnings on my blog because personally I find it annoying.   Personally I rarely visit a blog that starts with a warning.  Not that I intend to use photo's from other blogs.   But because I think it is ridiculous.  If your putting your photo's on a blog or anywhere on the web your opening the door for someone to use them.  So why a warning? 

If I see a photo I want to use I ask first. (except Pinterest pics, usually I can't find the original source) 
                                                                    Found on Pinterest

Or in the case of the Fabulous Fall party I do put in the fine print/rules for linking that I might use the photo's in an upcoming post.  And I always link back. 

                                                              Fabby's Living

So with that said.  Why do I Watermark?  The photo's I Watermark are the photo's that include my family and close friends. 

With that said.  Probably anyone with a little work could copy the photo's and crop the Watermark but that's a little work and hopefully too much effort. 

If your visiting my blog and you like one of my photo's I'd love you to comment and let me know.   

Watermarking or not?  I'll keep trying to figure out the glitch and add a watermark to the photo's of my family. 

So do you Watermark your Photo's? 

Linking with Jenny for Alphabet Thursday. Click Here






10 comments:

Linda Kay said...

I take the effort occasionally to mark my photos and frame them really nicely, but for the most part, I just want to use what I want on the blog. Most of them are not significant. And I use very few family pics.

Splendid Little Stars said...

I read your past post about watermarking. I think picmonkey was having some trouble recently because it wasn't working for me either. I found another site and used it once. Picmonkey is working now for which I am grateful.
I put my name on my photos like a signature. If they show up somewhere else then hopefully the original source will be known.
I hear you about putting photos out there in the public domain.

Jim said...

Sounds like a good idea, Grantham. But I really don't find time for that.
On my other blog I repeat my copyright, both the pictures and the writing. Most of the writers repeat the warning. It is copyright even without that but there are soooo many people who lift things that I put my warning. I have found my pictures and recipes on Pinterest.
And I have been asked a couple of times to remove things that did belong to someone else, both times the 'joke' had come off the internet, being circulated there.
..

Denise said...

Enjoying your pictures.

Lmkazmierczak said...

Yes, I use a watermark...I do a lot of abstract arsty digital processing and I like my work "signed"...If someone wants one without the watermark they can contact me for unmarred downloads♪ http://lauriekazmierczak.com/walnut-whirl/

Michelle said...

I love this post, how you watermarked and linked back. Job well done!

I don't add pictures that need watermarks. Simply because I don't know how. I just haven't taken the time to learn.

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

I do watermark. It's a lot of work to learn to take good photos, and you have to put them out there to be seen for people to ask for a licensing agreement. It's plain theft when people just take them and use them for their own advertising to make money.

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I don't know how to water mark. I will follow your instructions and see if I can. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks a ton for featuring my little table with sunflower plates. What an honor and I am very excited!
Enjoy your weekend, my friend.
FABBY

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Hello!!

I would like to know how to do watermark but do not have time to learn right now...
I love the Santa pic....my favorite image of Santa.!!

Thanks so much for stopping by!! We will be getting ready for Christmas soon!! I skip Thanksgiving decorating and go right into Christmas because of all the time it takes me!!

Hugs,
Deb

Ida said...

I'm not a "Professional" photograher by any means. However I do Watermark my photos and have a blurb in my sidebar about not using my work. Why...well I take the time to try and do as professional looking photos as I can, I certainly don't want someone lifting them as their own and even trying to make money off of them which some will do. I have even heard about one lady who found family photos she'd taken where the person posting them was claiming they were her own photos and kids. Now that takes a lot of nerve.