Pages

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Alphabet Thursday Letter M


 M is for Memories . . .
When I was a child a big part of my life was this Icon.

 My mother was employed at Montgomery Wards.   This is the way I remember the building.
 Since she didn't drive every night I rode with my father to pick her up from work.   I remember many a nights driving between these two buildings and parking at a back door waiting for my mother to come out. 

There is a lot of history behind this old building . . .

The flood went up to the 4th floor. 
I remember stories about the flood . . .
I remember the many years my family was a part of the Montogomery Ward family. 
I watched as a thriving business began to take a down side.  I remember the warehouses and the catalogue business thriving.
Then years later returning and seeing the empty buildings sitting and sadly rotting away. 
It was sad to see.

 But from what was once crumbling sad history arose something new.
Something no one would have ever thought . . .
Instead of allowing this icon to just crumble it was transformed.  Do you notice the opening?  They actually cut the building into a kind of tunnel . . . here is the info from the architect.
And, it seems that almost overnight what was dying became alive and thriving again.

And now Montgomery Ward is making history and memories again.

And speaking o Memories  the Count Down To Christmas linky party is the perfect place to share your Christmas memoires!  Come by any day and link your old or new
Christmas post.  We love all things Christmas.  Come and join the fun and be inspired.


Joining Jenny for Alphabet Thursday.  Click Here to visit/join

15 comments:

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

How neat! I remember getting the catalogue!

EG CameraGirl said...

The transformation is delightful!

carol l mckenna said...

What a wonderful post for M ~ great vintage pics and history of the building and best of all your Mom worked there ~ and you are showing great memories and glad they restored it ~

artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

TexWisGirl said...

a nice bit of history retained.

SarahBeth said...

Great post! That flood must have been awful -- to the fourth floor and getting out with rowboats; I can't imagine. Penny's was the go-to store when I was growing up -- I don't know when I knew about Wards.

(I wanted to check out what the architect had to say but, sadly, the link didn't work...)

Pam Beers. said...

Wow! What a blast from the past! I'm so happy to see the old MW building reinvented into something really beautiful.

It's kinda like life...when we get really old and run down, we need to reinvent ourselves. I just bought some hair color and new eye makeup.

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

What a great way for that beautiful old building to end up instead of another parking lot!

fredamans said...

At least history is still there, even with a facelift. :-)

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I wonder if all old Montgomery Ward buildings had a similar look. At first I thought that was a photo of the one in Richmond, CA, but I think the building was much smaller. I like how they turned your Montgomery Ward building into something else.

http://www.take25tohollister.com/2014/08/moving-on-up-amazing-machinery.html

21 Wits said...

Ah yes, from my era of memories too!

Betty said...

I'm wondering what city that is in? I couldn't get the link to the architect to work. I'll try to remember to try again later. Might be a glitch. I remember when Montgomery Ward closed at our mall and then was torn down. A JC Penny was built in its place. I miss the catalogs...Montgomery Ward, Sears, etc. It's wonderful that they saved that old building. Here it seems like everything is torn down. I'm sure they'll end up tearing the Astrodome down in spite of all the talk. They let if fall into disrepair.

Lmkazmierczak said...

Loving that transformation! So happy to see when a renovation is complete♪ http://lauriekazmierczak.com/mini-moon/

storybeader said...

that's great that they recycled the building and didn't tear it down. So many times, property owners just think it's easier to start brand new. I bet a lot of people have memories with that building! {:-D

Jenny said...

I love that they upcycled the building instead of destroying so many memories and such grand architecture!

I really enjoyed this link for the letter M.

History is always fascinating to me personally!

Thank you for linking.

A+

Lady Locust said...

That is wonderful. Our city is tearing down our old hospital. They built a new one and rather than just tearing down all the additions to the old one and using the main 'old' hospital, it's all coming down. I have to drive by it nearly every day and it's just sad.