Pages

Thursday, December 23, 2010

When Christmas Doesn't Feel Like . . .

The story this morning really got me to thinking.  For the last few days I have been very grateful and thankful for the posts supplied for the 12 Days of Christmas giveway. 
Because frankly.  I haven't known what to say. 
Because frankly it doesn't feel like Christmas. 

My daughter has said more than once "and your the one that used to have a tree in every room". 

But this year there is no tree at all.  Cowboy tried his best by bringing home some of the boxes out of storage and he made an attempt at putting up the stockings.  And actually it did make me smile just watching him do it.  And as I told him 'it is already too late and it is only gonna be a few days and we will have to take it all down...I am too tired to deal with it.'  But he kept on putting stuff out.

And, I really do plan to take photo's and post them because I know one day you'll need a chuckle and I will provide you with one! 

But well as much as I try I can't get into the spirit or the mood.  But when I read the words in the post this morning I realized that even if I am not in the mood.  Even if things are chaotic and falling apart that there is good. 

God provides.  And these words kind of gave me a kick in an ungracious place but they got me thinking . . .

And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others.”  2 Corinthians 9:8 NLT

And I realized that even though there are days that I have no idea where he is that is when he is doing a great work.  I just have to look around. 

  • Today even though I didn't feel like it I helped pack groceries for 4 families that wouldn't have a Christmas meal were it not for what was provided
  • I delivered another box to a young woman who hugged me and hugged me and cried and thanked me and thanked me
  • And I spent a couple of hours with two girls from the halfway house talking about God and learning/memorizing John 3:16. 

So even though there is chaos and worry I know that God is in control and that he gives me the chance to help someone else.  And I pray that if your reading this that you'll remember that God loves you and it really isn't about the
Christmas tree . . .

 

It is about another tree.  A different kind of tree.  A tree that was used for a different purpose.  The tree that became a cross. 


Father God, thank you that after all the years of serving and loving you in ministry that you continue to teach, guide, love, shepherd and care for us.  You, Father, are abundantly gracious and kind, thank you for showing up for us at just the right moment every time, forgive us when we forget that.  In Jesus name, Amen.

1 comment:

The Old Cupboard Door said...

I'm so glad I happened by to read this post. I, too, have not felt that special Christmas zing that hits me right after Thanksgiving. I've been ready for Christmas on the outside but not on the inside. What if we lived Christmas everyday in how we give of ourselves, then we wouldn't have to wait for the "Christmas feeling". Thanks for this post, it really hit home.

~willa~