Pages

Monday, September 2, 2013

My "Go To Girl" & A Recipe

I love to cook.  I dream of having a 'cooks' kitchen. 
Someday soon. I have a few dream photos. Here's one . . Eclectic decor makes a small space more interesting

On Sunday I was prepared to cook Rib eyes with mushrooms,Salad and Potatoes.  So I go to the fridge to take out the rib eyes and what do I find? Sirloin.  

So what do you do with Sirloin at the last minute? 

Help came in the form of my 'Go To Girl'.  

The Pioneer Woman
My friend Ree is the first place I go.  Oh I would love to really,
really be her 'bestie'!  Not only is she an amazing cook but I love her life!  She lives on this amazing ranch and has horses and cowboys and dogs and kids running around all over the place.


I love reading her blog and now watching her t.v. show.  Can you imagine writing a blog and then a cookbook and then ending up on t.v.  Wow.
 <3 I heart her. 

Anyway as I was saying I went to Ree for something to do with sirloin.  And this is what I found.


Basically a simple Burgundy Mushroom Sauce served over the grilled sirloin.  I never grill sirloin.  Usually I slice thin and make a Chinese dish.  But we were in the mood for steak and I know some people are successful with grilling. 

We rarely grill outside.  I have become pretty good at grilling on the stove.  Takes some practice.  I have learned a good thick rib eye
takes 4 min. on each side for a nicely medium rare steak.  So I figured with this big 'ole hunk of sirloin I needed to do 2 minutes.

And would you believe I was eating it and it was tasting and chewing just lot filet mignon!  Wow.  So I wasn't Chopped!  (my other favorite Food Network Show). 

Here's Ree's recipe for Mushroom Sauce


Ingredients

  • 4 whole Steaks (sirloin, Ribeye, Etc.)
  • 1/2 cup Butter
  • 1 pound White Mushrooms, Sliced
  • 4 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 3 whole Green Onions, Sliced
  • 1-1/2 cup Red Wine: Burgundy, Merlot, Cab, Etc.
  • Salt And Pepper, to taste
  • 1 Tablespoon Butter
  • Fresh Parsley, Minced, To Taste

Preparation Instructions

In a large skillet, melt butter over high heat. Throw in mushrooms, garlic, and green onions and cook, stirring occasionally until mushrooms are nice and golden. Pour in wine and stir, scraping bottoms of the pan. Allow to cook for several minutes or until liquid is reduced by at least half. At the end, add 1 tablespoon butter and stir into sauce. Add parsley and stir together. Don't be afraid to splash in a little more wine if needed.
Fry a steak in a separate skillet till medium rare.
Spoon mushrooms sauce over the top.


I'm sorta thinking of using the sauce as a base for beef and broccoli. Maybe ad some soy and change the flavor.  Wonder how that'll work? 

Do you have a great sirloin recipe?  I got a couple more big 'ole hunks in the freezer just waitin'.  My Cowboy is great at stopping at the store at the right time for bargains! 

Please leave a comment with a link to your sirloin recipe.  I'll be glad to try it and post about here.  Who knows maybe you can get your own cooking show! 

Have a great day!

No comments: